Thursday, July 10, 2008

madness on the cycle path

For the first time today I took the boys and their bikes down to the cycle path in Herndon. The W&OD trail is a very long cycle path that I think goes all the way from DC out to Leesburg. Anyway, there is a good stretch that goes through Herndon and the boys asked if they could cycle there so I thought what a good idea. As soon as we got on the path Cameron shot off and didn't look back. Eventually I started to panic. There are roads he'd have to cross and I couldn't see him. I shouted like a mad woman for him to come back but he was gone like Lance Armstrong at the start of Tour de France....only with training wheels. Eventually I stopped a jogger and told him to tell Cameron to wait for me. (Thanks to the kind jogger for being so understanding.) He told Cameron to wait and Jamie and I eventually caught up with him. I asked Cameron why he didn't wait for me at the road he said, "don't worry mummy, I looked both ways". So I realised that I hadn't explained all the rules of riding on the cycle path. Here are the rules I can think of for now:
1. always wait for mummy
2. never cross roads on your own
3. don't cross the yellow lines (stay on your side of the path)

Thankfully there was a Dairy Queen in Herndon happy to serve up icecream to calm my nerves.



2 comments:

Mommy2Twinkies-Deb said...

Yes, it's good to explain ALL the rule! So cute! I can't believe jamie is riding a bike! That's awesome.

Steele Family said...

Can't believe Jamie is riding a bike!