Monday, September 8, 2008

circus

Cameron is mad about the circus. He loves the idea of clowns and acrobats, and, after seeing Barnum & Bailey "the greatest show on earth" earlier this year, he has been asking to go to the circus over and over again. We found out at the last minute that there was a circus in town so I took both boys on Sunday afternoon. I've always been a bit hesitant about the circus. I don't like the big animals or big cats in a circus but I thought the Barnum & Bailey circus was really well done...like a Disney production, which is not surprising since it is managed by the same people that handle the Disney on Ice shows. Anyway, yesterday it was the Cole Bros. Circus. It is under a big top as you can see from the photo above. Cameron loved being in the tent and loved some of the acts - elephants, motorbikes in a big globe and the acrobats...but for me it was a bit of a let down compared to Barnum and Bailey. This was an old-fashioned circus that seemed to have tired acts in old costumes. I think I've become used to the polished, professional acts of Cirque du Soleil and Barnum and Bailey so in comparison this looked like a very amateur production. Having said that from my point of view...the boys had fun and enjoyed the show.

4 comments:

Mom2Girls said...

We go to the Cole Bros. Circus each year, the come out here too and I totally agree with your assessment, however to a child it's still the **Circus** although Lauren does get freaked out by some of those "scary" clowns, lol. Glad the boys had fun!!

Muser | Writer | Traveler said...

I always remember loving the circus when I was a kid. I took Emmy in to NYC for a girl's weekend when she was about 4 and we went to Ringling Bros at Madison Square Garden. Both her and I were so traumatized by the protestors that we had to fight through when we left(all their photos and literature about the animals) that I haven't been able to go back since :-( I think I'll have to stick to Cirque de Soleil - which I love! Such a shame though cos kids love the circus so I always feel like I'm depriving her :-(

Mommy2Twinkies-Deb said...

I get the tired thing too, but it's great that the boys enjoyed it!!

Steele Family said...

that's great the boys had fun.....haven't taken Matty yet- i think he would enjoy it